Long Beach, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Green card issue when travelling

I am a US Citizen, my parents have green cards since 2015,

they have been travelling twice a year, always 5 months in Poland, 1 month in in US, last week they got some issue at LAX, they office was very upset, angry ( my parents dont speak english) and he put a note on their passport that they stay too long in Poland, and can loose their gree cards.


will they get a problem entering the border in May 2018 for sure? or it is a good chance to get admitted .

in case they get stop, they will have to face a immigration judge, if they wont be able to convince him , and the card will be taken away, and they lost the status, will it convert to Tourist visa?

if the judge take the cards from them, will I be able to apply for them again for green cards without any issue, when they decided to stay here?

is it hard to convice judge no to take away cards?

they are not ready yet to stay here, I understand the policy to live here,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley Negrette
Ashley Negrette
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like your parents may have abandoned their permanent residence. Your parents need to speak to an immigration attorney as soon as possible.

To answer your questions:

1 - Yes, they probably will have a problem entering the U.S. again

2 - If their card is taken away by an immigration judge they will be deported or be granted voluntary departure. It will NOT convert to a tourist visa or any type of other visa.

3 - You MIGHT be able to apply for them again

4 - It depends on the reasoning for staying outside the U.S.

Click here for more information: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence#abandoning

You should contact an immigration attorney asap.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.