Orlando, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I'm an int'l student in US; I been married to a US citizen. How should I change my status? should I hire a professional?

I have been in US from last 2 years, my F1 visa is valid till 2021. I and my girlfriend have been married from couples months, and now I want to change my status and get a GreenCard. Should I do procedure by myself or should I hire any lawyer?.

We are not living together right now because my school is in a different city. Will this effect the procedure of applying for a Green Card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Myron Morales
Myron Morales
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX

A: If you are unsure about the process, it would be advisable to obtain legal advice and/or representation. This will ensure that you file the proper and sufficient documents and that you obtain work and travel authorization for while the petition is pending. Counsel can also help with other matters, such as Social Security, driver license, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.