Conyers, GA asked in Probate and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Mother passed 2 years ago and there is a will that contains real estate. Do we have to go through probate court?

There are 3 homes involved. Her home on mortgage and 2 I cashed purchased in her name. I just want my property transferred in my name. Can my eldest brother who is the executive of the estate transfer deed to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John W. Chambers Jr
John W. Chambers Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Generally, if there is real property (i.e., land) owned by a decedent at the time of her death, and she had a will, the person designated as executor in the will must file a petition to probate the will and request that he be appointed executor by the probate court. The person named as executor in the will has no authority or power to act on behalf of the estate until the probate court has appointed him as executor. Once appointed by the probate court, the executor has certain duties which he must fulfill as required by applicable law. This response is intended to provide general information only and does not constitute legal advice or establish an attorney client relationship. I recommend that you consult with a probate attorney concerning this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.