Belcourt, ND asked in Child Support for North Dakota

Q: My ex-husband and I are working on getting back together. How do we stop child support?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Child support is the right of the child, not of the parent. If you want to stop child support, get remarried and inform the child support unit. You may need a lawyer if extra steps are required.

Nicholas Nelson

  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Here is the North Dakota Century Code provision on agreements that attempt to waive child support. NDCC 14-09-09.32

Here is the NDCC provision on review of child support obligations. NDCC 04-09-08.4.

Note, this is general legal information, and additional law may apply to your situation. I am unable to provide adequate legal advice without first meeting with a potential client and discussing all relevant facts related to the specific situation. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.