Seattle, WA asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: i am 16 and my mom emotionally abuses me has for year can i runaway to my older sisters with out her getting in trouble

my mom has emotionally abused me for years and use to hit us on the head. kicked by big sister out when she was 15 and i am now 16 and cant deal with it anymore i suffer from depression and anxiety and i have wanted to kill my self. can i runway to my older sisters and not have her get in trouble

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If your sister is an adult, she can Petition to be your guardian. She should consult with an attorney about this. Otherwise if your sister or any other adult tries to take you from your mother (even if you want to go), they can be charged with custodial interference.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.