Asked in Traffic Tickets for Rhode Island

Q: Will it be easier to hire a lawyer to request 'good driving record' plea?

I am going to be out of country on the date mentioned on my citation. I have good driving record for last 5 and a half years. Is there a way I can request a dismissal before I leave?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew T. Marin
Matthew T. Marin
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: In Rhode Island, a Lawyer can represent you at the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal to enter an admission seeking dismissal under the good driving statute. If you are leaving the Country, it is in your best interest to get your affairs in order with the lawyer well before you leave.

In the alternative, you can seek a continuance on your ticket until you return to the Country. To do that, you would need to talk to the Traffic Court Prosecution Officer with the Police Department that issued you the ticket.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.