Forest City, NC asked in DUI / DWI, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for North Carolina

Q: Having something removed from record?

How do i go about having a dui charge from 2008 removed from record, background check? And also a charge that Im not sure if its on my record or not, but child neglect/abuse that i was never convicted of through court, but had to sign a paper for department of social services when me and my child tested positive for drugs a couple of days after moving home from a bad relationship that i was in and doing drugs while in that relationship. I moved home to get clean, & i was reported to dss for drug use. I told them the truth about doing the drugs & that i wanted help to get off of them. I attended all the classes & hours & finished them within the time giving & my children was released back into my custody. When i apply for jobs or volunteer at sons elementary school they say im not an eligible candidate at this time cause of background. Not sure if its this or the dui & need help getting this removed. My past shouldnt affect my child by me not getting to attend their school events/trips

1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Dewar
Kristen Dewar
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You cannot expunge a DWI conviction from your NC criminal record. You used to be able to, but the expungement law was changed as of December 1, 2015. Hopefully, the legislature will revisit the law and revise it one day.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.