Blacklick, OH asked in Divorce, Family Law and Identity Theft for Michigan

Q: How to remove my name off my ex husband's credit cards? how to transfer 401K from ex into my account?

I have been divorced since 2015. Prior to the final divorce proceedings, my lawyer and myself called the credit card companies and made sure my name was off these credit cards. The divorce papers mention to be off all credit cards that previously had me as a joint owner or user. Recently, I discovered under my credit report is another credit card with $8,031 balance which the ex husband charged on it. How is it possible after 2.5 years to just appear on my credit report?

Also, I was rewarded half of his 401 K and would like to switch it onto my account, but Walmart required to make changes or needs more details. Where should I start and how to proceed? The divorce was finalized in Michigan. Do I need to go back there to solve this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Are you and your ex on speaking terms? If so, you should confront him with this new listing to see what he says. It could be an old card that he thought your name had been removed from, and the error lies with the credit card company itself. If not, you may want to contact the credit reporting agency to report this recent listing as possible ID theft.

As to the 401K, you'll likely need a Michigan lawyer to draft and submit a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). This needs to be signed by the judge who did your divorce, and then submitted to Walmart.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.