Detroit, MI asked in Family Law and Military Law for North Carolina

Q: I got my divorce in NC. The decree stats I'm intitled to a portion of his retirement. The formulation wasn't added

By what I was told "Proper Law" he has retired 10yrs ago! DFAS states they can't release my payment.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You likely need a QDRO. Go see a local family law attorney and keep your fingers crossed that you aren't completely screwed. If you did your own divorce or relied on your spouses attorney to prepare the divorce - this would be a prime example of why that is an exceedingly bad idea. If you had an attorney during your divorce - go see that attorney if possible. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.