Burbank, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: Do I accept getting served for child support, even though my kids have lived with me for the past 3 years?

My kids have lived with me for the past 3 years and I got a phone call today that i am going to be served for child support since their mother asked for welfare aid.

1 Lawyer Answer
Martha Bronson
Martha Bronson
  • Tracy, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Accepting service is not like you are accepting liability for support. Accepting service is only receiving the papers and nothing more. You should contact an experienced family law attorney who can guide you through filing the proper response in a timely manner and assist in addressing the court.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.