Dallas, TX asked in Lemon Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Can my landlord raise my rent because there was a Gas leak also stop any repairs.

This past Sept 2017 my gas was turned off and the meter taken off. The gas company told me a licensed plumber had to come check the pipes under the house/ground. I told my landlord he got mad that the gas company got involved. He said now he had to pay for a permit and hired a licensed plumber. The gas leak was repaired, my landlord told me it cost him over $3000.00. He raised my rent $50.00 it will take affect this November 2017. He told me if I didn't pay the $50.00 he added to the rent I would be evicted, he also said he would no longer pay for any further repairs to the house. He had already raised my rent 5 mos earlier May 2017. He made a comment to me saying it's no longer the tenant it's all about money now. The gas leak was not my fault, the gas company said the gas leak happened due to the age of the house. My question to you is can a Landlord raise the rent due to the gas leak and refuse further repairs to the house, evict me if I don't pay the extra $50.00 on the rent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross F. Tew
Ross F. Tew
  • Arlington, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: My initial reaction is no, your landlord can't break the lease by raising your rent based on the types of repairs involved. Keep in mind that you need to have an attorney review your lease and any correspondence you have with your landlord before advising you one way or the other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.