Portland, OR asked in Immigration Law, Child Custody and International Law for Illinois

Q: If a family member who's lived in the US for 3 years (originally from Mexico)got sent back, could he come back at 18?

He's lived in the US to further his education, and wasn't deported. He was sent back to Mexico because his uncle (a us citizen) didn't like him, and his mother didn't want him to go off by himself (thinking he would stay with another family). He wanted to get adopted into one, but since his aunt had custody (and they wouldn't take it) she said no. He is 17 and will turn 18 in 2018. He wants to get an education in Laser Technology/engineering. Can he come back at 18 (without family) and start a life of his own? (E.g. get his own place, go to college, get a job,etc.)

1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: There are some options, yes, but none are straightforward. Probably the best fit is a student visa, but those applicants have to show financial viability because international students are very limited in the type of work they can do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.