Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois International Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, International Law and Traffic Tickets for Illinois on
Q: Can you travel internationally (Canada) if you complete court supervision for a Class A misdemeanor for speeding?

Can you travel internationally to places such as Canada or UAE if you completed court supervision for a Class A misdemeanor for speeding 35 MPH plus in the state of Illinois? My understanding is that upon completion of supervision it leads to a non conviction? Is this true and if not convicted are... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Nov 25, 2021

You may travel internationally, but I personally have seen U.S. citizens turned away from entering Canada for a variety of traffic and Criminal offenses regardless of the years past after that conviction, when they traveled by car.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Illinois on
Q: Hello, I applied for post completion OPT one month ago. However, I realized that I forgot to answer the question 14

In the I-765 form, which asks whether I want to get a social security number. But because I have a number, I answered question 13 and gave my number. Because I sent the form without answering one question, I am worried about my approval. Do you think that will USCIS deny my application? What should... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Mar 13, 2021

If the USCIS accepted an application in which you answered a question with another question, it should approve the application. That is, unless there are other defects.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Illinois on
Q: Is it likely that a patent application for a process that involves an internationally patented product will be approved?

There is only one source of a patented filament for 3d printing. I have come up with a simple way to print the filament, creating a potentially profitable product. It is a novel idea for printing the filament, but a common way of producing similar products.

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Mar 9, 2021

If you came up with a new way of making a filament that is know, then, yes, that is potentially patentable. Your patent would not cover the filament, but it will cover the method.

But there is a problem. The problem is that if you take a known method to make a known product, it will be...
Read more »

Q: I was falsely accused of stealing and at a superstore. Can I sue for defamation? See details below.

I was brought back to the store in cuffs and questioned. I denied and showed them the reciept of the item I bought, and they brought up the footage of me paying at the cash register after I told them what register I checked out at. I was embarrassed and humiliated. They then trespassed me from the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 12, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal. You could consult with an attorney in confidence regarding your civil remedies because they could be multiple here. Doing this without delay could be valuable to you in terms of preserving video footage before it is rerecorded over or lost. Many attorneys would... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Intellectual Property and International Law for Illinois on
Q: I unknowingly traded a minor vehicles. He forged his dads name (same name). They said they are reporting it stolen.

He traded me vehicles across state lines and they said I'm going to be arrested. The vehicle is already in my name and licensed, they said it's my fault and their soon can't have criminal charges brought against him for taking "his" car, which turns out to be his fathers... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 24, 2019

Keep this plausible story in a safe place so you will be able to re-tell it to the police--if they arrest you.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and International Law for Illinois on
Q: Please see more information

Hello! I’m just trying to ask, my boy friend are studying aviation in America but that is a Chinese school. So they don’t let all the student spend night at outside and they have to be at their dorm after 10pm. It’s that legal? And if they spend the night at outside they will stop that... Read more »

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 8, 2018

It sounds as if this is private organization, where your boyfriend decided to study aviation. They can set their own rules. If the students cannot accept their rules, I would imagine they can leave the program.

Therefore, you will need to accept these rules. I am hopeful that your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Child Custody and International Law for Illinois on
Q: If a family member who's lived in the US for 3 years (originally from Mexico)got sent back, could he come back at 18?

He's lived in the US to further his education, and wasn't deported. He was sent back to Mexico because his uncle (a us citizen) didn't like him, and his mother didn't want him to go off by himself (thinking he would stay with another family). He wanted to get adopted into one,... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 30, 2017

There are some options, yes, but none are straightforward. Probably the best fit is a student visa, but those applicants have to show financial viability because international students are very limited in the type of work they can do.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, International Law and Trademark for Illinois on
Q: Starting a business. Company in Thailand is already using same name in a related field. Can I use the name or no?

Looking to start a business. Initial research indicated that the name selected was unused. Bought domain. Further research uncovered a company in Thailand using the same name in virtually the same field. Overlap in business/target market unlike as they're in Thailand and I'm in US but not... Read more »

Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Jan 11, 2017

Trademarks and trade names are jurisdiction-specific. If the name is not used or registered in the US, you are free to use it here...but of course no in Thailand.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Illinois on
Q: Do foreign expert witnesses need a work permit in the USA when they testify?

In Canada, a worker does not need to obtain a work permit to enter Canada if he/she: (i) is entering Canada to conduct surveys or analyses that will be used as evidence before a regulatory body, tribunal or court of law, or (ii) is entering Canada to serve as an expert witness before a regulatory... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 11, 2016

I don't believe you do if it is for a specific hearing only.Ask the law firm retaining you. If most of your preparation is done overseas, if your report is written overseas, and the only purpose of the trip to the US is testimony it may fall outside the

definition of "employment.."

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Illinois on
Q: Hello my son is 9yr old live in Philippines. Im his father a US born citizen.what do I need to do for him to visit US?

What are the steps to getting my 9yr son a visa to come visit me. I am a us born citizen and lives here. He lived in Philippines

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jan 21, 2016

If you want your son to just visit you, he may try to apply for a tourist visa. If you want your son to live here with you permanently refer to my answer to the previous two questions you have posted. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Illinois on
Q: I'm a us citizen of the United States. I would like to have my son from philippines come to America with me?

Edit question details

I'm a us citizen of the United States. I would like to have my son to be able to come here to America from the Philippines. I am his biological father

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Jan 21, 2016

How old is your son? You need to sponsor your son for a green card. If you don't already know philippines has one of the longest wait times for green cards. If your son is over the age of 21 and married the time will be even longer. For this purposes I suggest you talk to an immigration... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and International Law for Illinois on
Q: I was arrested for speeding and possession but as I was being arrested I didn't get my rights read. Is that important?

I'm also under court supervision how will that affect me

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 9, 2015

It could be important, but in very limited circumstances. Hire a local private criminal defense attorney immediately/

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law, International Law and Medical Malpractice for Illinois on
Q: Can Private Practice doctor hire International Medical Graduate (IMG) as Medical Assistant and sponsor h1b visa?

I'm well know private practice doctor in Allergy & Immunology field. I want to hire an foreign medical graduate as my medical assistant. He needs h1b sponsorship for full time work. How can I sponsor him and hire him for one year duration ? He is currently in US on f1 visa status. Can he... Read more »

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Sep 10, 2015

To save money and time you should seek advice from an experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Illinois on
Q: I send my child on vacasion to mexico city and my family doesnt want to return my child back to the united states
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra answered on Jan 15, 2011

There is an international treaty known as the Hague Convention on Child Abduction, Mexico is a party to it, and you can seek assistance through your local district attorney in the Child Abduction Unit.

They will coordinate with Mexican authorities to have your child returned to you....
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.