Portland, OR asked in Family Law, Animal / Dog Law, Elder Law and Small Claims for California

Q: My Grandmother with Alzheimer's can no longer care for our elderly family dog. Can I bring her to live with me?

I am her granddaughter, whom she raised like her own daughter. My Grandma was recently moved to a memory care facility where she cannot keep her pet. Callie is now staying with my uncle (her eldest son and Executor of her will). It is my intention to bring Callie to live with me. I grew up with her and my Grandma. Now, my uncle is resisting my efforts to assume responsibility for her. Uncle is also wanting to sell off Grandma's possessions. (In her will, all possessions, Jewelry, furniture, etc. Go to her grandchildren.) In the very beginning, I paid $400 of my own savings to help with Callie's adoption fee. Grandma paid $200. Does that make her both inheritance and my dog?

I know it's a lot and complicated. I really just want to bring my girl home. This has been very confusing to navigate with all the pressure.

Any help is appreciated.



1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I assume that someone has power of attorney for your grandmother with regard to decisions regarding her property, or perhaps a conservatorship has been established. Whomever has been given those decision making responsibilities can decide what happens with your grandmother's property, including the dog. If there is no one in that position, then a conservatorship should be established so that someone with legal authority can make decisions about the property and dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.