La Quinta, CA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for California

Q: If my ex partner it’s not working can I still ask for child support.

I already file for child custody a year ago and We got the court order for it, And he has never had my kids with him or called them or be interested in there life, can I get full custody for my kids because of it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Martha Bronson
Martha Bronson
  • Tracy, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can ask for it, but if he does not have any earnings, the court is not going to order he pay support just because you ask for it. You would need to file a request for order to ask for a support order and establish that he is capable of working but he willingly does not work because he does not want to. The court will likely first enter a seek work order which will require him to go out and apply for jobs. He would be required to prove to the court that he sought employment by applying to a certain number of jobs each week. The court could also impute wages to him if it were to find that there is a job available to him within his ability to work. Thus, in answer to your question, yes you can ask for support, but be prepared to prove he able to work and that jobs are available for him to take, but he just does not want to work. You should contact DEPARTMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT SERVICES, to assist you I establishing an order for support and enforcing the order. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.