Plainfield, IL asked in Criminal Law, Insurance Defense and Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Speeding 15 over and had expire insurance. What do I do.

I share an insurance plan with my mom and I guess since I don't pay it I kind of just forgot when it expires and kind of figured my mom would renew and give me a new card, but that didnt happen. The officer said if I provide proof of insurance at the court date the fee will be waived. I've never been to court before and have no idea what to do. Do I plead not guilty and show my new insurance or can I plead guilty and show my insurance or do I not have to plead at all. I have no idea how this works. For the speeding ticket I just assumed I would plead guilty and pay the fine and hope they offer the driving course.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Go to court at the designated date and time. When your case is called, come forward and have your proof of insurance available. Hear the offer they make and hope it's court supervision on both tickets.

if not on both then on the no insurance for sure. if you do not get supervision on that one you will be suspended for a year and cannot apply for any driving relief.

The judge is required by court rules to explain the procedure before the hearing starts (there will be other cases up at the same date and time not just yours)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.