Mount Laurel, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: Can my ex take me to court to gain primary parent? Do I need permission to move?

I Currently live in the same county as my ex. we co-parent well and have never had to bring the courts into our lives as far as a custody arrangements, we simply just have a paper stating I am primary parent and we have joint custody.However I am looking to move about 1 1/2 - 2 hours away to another county.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I strongly suggest you contact a qualified family law attorney for a consultation. This type of move will affect both parents' lives and the child. You will need to all be on the same page before the move takes place, or else you are begging for contested litigation - which could create a ripple-effect of problems for all of you. A qualified attorney who primarily practices family law can help you try to keep the situation from boiling over, while helping you to develop, propose, and negotiate a workable parenting plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.