East Orange, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: My daughter's father owes me almost 57,000 in back child support, on October 4,2017 he was finally approved to collect

Social Security/disability benefits, after applying over eight years ago. Will child support deduct any money from his settlement for his back owed payments?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you have not already, contact the child support call center (877-655-4371) and notify them that he will be awarded SSD, and probably a large lump-sum retroactive payment. I am not sure if they will be able to intercede to collect some portion of your arrears before he receives that payment, but they would be the one's handling it if it is possible. Also, they need to know that he was awarded SSD, to set up the garnishment of his future payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.