Broken Arrow, OK asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: Is there a way to defend yourself if you have been accused of a crime in someone else’s criminal case?

My boyfriend has been in jail since 8/25/17 for an alleged domestic A&B case and other charges. We do not have the bond money nor money for a private lawyer. He had a bond reduction hearing today, and based solely on his ex’s alleged statements that I operate a meth house and that my boyfriend and I do meth together, they denied his bond. Neither myself nor my boyfriend use meth, neither of us have any drug charges ever, and I am willing to submit to a home visit and/or drug test. Is there any way I can defend myself and my boyfriend to prove his ex is just bitter and jealous and has lied about everything from day one? This seems unconstitutional to me because I have committed no crime, I have not been charged with a crime yet they are believing what this girl is saying. She wants to keep him in jail so that he cannot work and earn money for a private lawyer to defend himself against her bogus charges. Please help! Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Perkins
Jason Perkins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • El Reno, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If your boyfriend has not bonded out of jail he should have access to a public defender. He/you should request the paperwork to have a lawyer appointed to the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.