Edmond, OK asked in Bankruptcy for Oklahoma

Q: Does a ex spouse filing Ch13 Bankruptcy make it more difficult for me to collect attorney fees IF I did win?

It is in regards to a Contempt Trial where both have filed them on each other over Child support, property division and visitation.

Also, I am not asking if it can be 100% discharged but can it (attorney fees reimbursement) be added to the Ch 13 payment plan at a reduced monthly amount? This is what she is claiming will probably happen so just curious if this is correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd Laster
Todd Laster
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In a Chapter 13 bankruptcy creditors are paid based on their priority status. Child Support is a priority debt that is not dischargeable. Property division is an unsecured debt and can be discharged. In a Chapter 13 plan unsecured creditors receive a pro rate share of the amount the debtor is paying to all their unsecured creditors. The percentage to general unsecured creditors in a chapter 13 plan can be anywhere from 0% to 100% depending on the debtor's disposable income. If your attorney fees award is in the nature of support you can object to confirmation of the plan if it does not pay the claim in full. If your attorney fees award is in the nature of property division it is a general unsecured claim an may not be paid back in full or at all under the plan. As a creditor if your former spouse files a Chapter 13 you will receive notice and a copy of the proposed Plan. Look to see how your claim is provided for in the plan. If you claim is not provided for you are likely being treated as an unsecured creditor and you should look for the projected percentage payback to general unsecured creditors near the end of the plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.