Arlington, VA asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI, Traffic Tickets and Federal Crimes for New Jersey

Q: Can you please explain and give a general opinion on what I should do.

Hello, my husband was recently arrested and is now facing 4 charges. I was wondering if you could give me a general idea on the situation that way i can have somewhat of an understanding so i dont address this blindsighted and am able to go about the situation the correct way. The charges are1). 2c:29-1A. 2). 2c:36-2. 3). 2c:35-10a (1) and 4). 2c:35-10a (1). What do you feel the outcome is going to be? Do you think he could get any of them downgraded?

2 Lawyer Answers
Stuart Nachbar
Stuart Nachbar
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Livingston, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Here we go:

2c:29-1A. : Obstructing Administration of Law. Either 4th degree crime or disorderly persons

2c:36-2. Possession with Intent to Use (Disorderly persons)

2c:35-10a (1) and 4). Possession of a Schedule 1-4 drug and a possession of 50 grams of Marijuana (3rd degree and disorderly persons)

2c:35-10a (1). Possession of 1-4 Drug (this is a 3rd degree crime)

What do you feel the outcome is going to be?

Do you think he could get any of them downgraded?

A good lawyer might be able to have the 3rd degree reduced to a DP offense (MIGHT), otherwise they may merge some of the lesser included into one charge. It depends on whether it was just marijuana or some other drugs

Just Note 3rd degree crime serious and up to 35,000 fine

Kristofher Beralo
Kristofher Beralo
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Without knowing much about the case, the outcome will be determined by factors such as (but not limited to):

1. Lab Reports

2. Circumstance of the arrest

3. Prior Record

4. Testimony

5. Police Report

Usually, on a plea offer, prosecutors will offer to dismiss some of the charges (or downgrade) for a guilty plea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.