Providence, RI asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: Hello! I didn't explain in detail my last question. My house is set up in a real Estate trust, and their is an executor

In charge of it. The trust states that the executor has the power to sell my home, and the proceeds r to go to me, as the beneficiary. But, as I said, he has not reached out to me & is not fulfilling his duty as executor, or administrator. The bank started the foreclosure process, due to a reverse mortgage, and bc I am not the executor, I cannot legally sell the home. I'd like to have him removed as executor, and assign another person, so that I can get the property sold before I walk away with nothing, but I'm not sure if I can do it without representation from an attorney. Money is an issue, so I wouldn't b able to pay an attorney until the house is sold. I need help I guess

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You can file a Removal Petition and Request to be appointed successor and also file an Equity complaint which would include the Trustee and the Foreclosing bank explaining to the Court that the Trustee should be ordered to pay the mortgage or act to sell so as not to loose the corpus. These are complex matters with expense involved for filing and proceeding and you should do your best to hire counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.