Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: Can i sue if a police they lock me up for a burglary i didnt commit and mistake me for the guy who did it .

There were two suspects and a black male and the other a lighter male the lighter male came to my house casually and didnt know he was on the run and the police came through my door and chase through my house through him and lock up me because they think i was the other guy . they told my family who i was and they got my name mix up for someone name jean when i go by my name gee. They still took me in . they lied to my girl friend and told her that i said i had a gun in the house and they found a fake. The it wasnt used in a robbery . my mom didn't sign a search warrant or nor saw one. I sat in there two months went to my court hearing and they havent did any investigations and told the judge that they know i was the guy. When they did i was innocent a release but they have my information and picture on online with false accusations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Glen Burnie, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Possibly. Depends when the incident occurred --- must generally be within 1 year to fulfill notice requirements -- and there would have to be some degree of damages. Deprivation of liberty could be part of that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.