Anadarko, OK asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma

Q: i gave a family member $9000 down on a home she wanted 15000 now she says she is selling it to someone else to get out

can she do that i was to pay the rest when i got the rest of my ssi backpay she says she will give me some money when she sells it i put 3000 in work for plumbing electrical paint etc what can i do we had no paperwork i just have phone messages

1 Lawyer Answer
Doak Willis
Doak Willis
  • Tahlequah, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Generally oral contracts for the sale or purchase of real property are not enforceable because of the statute of frauds which states those type contracts must be in writing. There are exceptions to this rule which are long and hard to explain in this type post. You need to seek an attorney now and lay out all your facts and take phone messages and other evidence of your payment to the attorney and allow them to determine whether you can succeed in litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.