Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Collections and Identity Theft for Oklahoma on
Q: There's been a payday loan taken out in my name, with my SS#, what can I do?

Its not being paid back, and its going on my credit report. What should I do next? How can I prove it is the person that I suspect it to be that is responsible for this? I disputed the mark on my credit report, but I don't know how to prove to them it wasn't me.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 20, 2019

Quickly contact PayDay and ask them to preserve the video surveillance from the transactions they claim to have with you. Contact the police and advise them that your identity has been compromised. Contact Equifax and the other major credit reporting agencies and advise that your identity has been... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I vacate a default judgement due to lack of jurisdiction

Default judgment when I did not reside in state was never served but served by publication but did not reside in the state. Judgment never domesticated to my state. Wages garnished

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Sep 30, 2019

You’d better hire a lawyer to handle both for you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I owe $20,000 in child support but if I won 50K in civil court against them for a separate matter, who owe who?

I owe roughly 20,000 in back child support but recently something has happened to where I could take her to civil court but she already owes in small claims court and has nothing to take and no job to garnish. So If I got a judgement of 50K or more would I still owe her that child support.

Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr answered on Sep 23, 2019

Yes, you would still owe child support. The two (2) judgments/awards have nothing to do with each other. You'll need to still pay the $20,000, and then collect separately your $50,000. You should get a lawyer to aid you in this process. Contact a licensed attorney in Oklahoma for help.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: If my employer gives me a drug test do I have a right to the reports, statements, and results regarding the drug test?

I passed the test, of course. It was during an investigation that HR was looking into. I had called about my supervisor, Curtis and his discrimination against me.

I have to ask for documentation of certain things. But I'm wondering if I have the right to all documents regarding that drug... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 9, 2019

Old adage: There is no harm in asking

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I'm from Oklahoma. What constitutes common law in this state?

We don't own any property in common. But I do pay all the utility bills as my contribution for living in his house. I don't plan to marry him. And I was wondering, if I came into some money if he could claim part of it because we've lived together for 2 years.

Benjamin Oxford
Benjamin Oxford answered on Jul 16, 2019

No. Living together is not enough to create a common law marriage in Oklahoma. You have to treat each other, and hold out to the public, that you are married. Taking the same name, having children, sharing bank accounts, owning property, and telling the general public that you're married are all... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I was charged with 3 counts of child abuse by county officers whereas the allegations have no evidence to prove

There is no history of any kind of child abuse and I have no criminal record before this . Please help

Frank A. Urbanic
Frank A. Urbanic answered on Jul 13, 2019

These are very serious charges. You need to hire an attorney. No getting around that.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: If an investor contributes more than an owner do they automatically own part of the business and right to make decisions

The investor was treated as an owner but was not officially because they were worried it would affect their food stamps/unemployment (they were employed also). The business does not have an operating agreement and the investor dissolved the business without my signature. They withdrew all the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 20, 2019

Unless otherwise agreed in writing, the larger amount of money invested in a business by an investor does not mean the investor "automatically owns part of the business." However, you are throwing legal terms around without fully explaining all the important details underlying this unusual... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I sue a drug testing facility for a false positive drug test that I voluntarily took for Child Protective Services

What lawyer can you recommend in Oklahoma

I voluntarily took a drug test for CPS. The testing fac. said it was positive for meth, methadone, Xanax, Barbiturates. These results were used against me in court and my grandkids were taken away on 8/24/18. The lab results were negative for all... Read more »

Melissa Oxford
Melissa Oxford answered on May 26, 2019

You may have a cause of action but you would have to have evidence that it was, in fact, a negative result. Your testimony will not be enough. You will need other toxicity test results from that same day to support any case you may have.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I have subpoenaed an individual who was employed by the state, but now is employed by a county in the state. The person

works in one city, but resides in the city where the case is to be held. The person states they will not show up because they are no longer employed by the state and must be compensated with lodging, mileage, and lost wages in order to show. I am acting Pro Se. Am I required to compensate this... Read more »

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on May 18, 2019

In order for a witness to be made to appear under subpoena, you must follow the law in paying a witness fee and mileage and other conditions set forth in the statutes. So you are required to compensate witnesses you subpoena. Depending on how critical their testimony is to your case will be the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: If I am envolved in an Oklahoma Small Claims case can I ask the court to issue a subpoena for a witness to appear?
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 17, 2019


Okla. Stat. tit. 12 s 2004.1 says, "The clerk shall issue a subpoena, or a subpoena for the production of documentary evidence, signed and sealed but otherwise in blank, to a party requesting it, who shall fill it in before service."

Ask the court clerk to issue a subpoena....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Since I am a convicted felon I have no othetcivil rights but do process of law
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 5, 2019

Even if you are a convicted felon, you still do have many civil rights.

The civil rights you have depend on the terms of your sentence, and also what state law says about your specific rights.

The rights that you keep, and do not keep, after you are convicted, are too long to list...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I have Daca, can i travel to Hawaii and come back rob oklahoma with no problem
Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 21, 2019

DACA restricts your travel to and from the U.S. Because Hawaii is in the U.S., you should have no problems traveling to and from Hawaii (unless you go through another country on your way.)

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal for a non-lawyer to appear in court for a corporation?

More specifically for a representative of a corporation who owns residential rental property to bring eviction in a District Court against a tenant.

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 11, 2019

In a small claims case, yes. In other cases no.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: i want to sue a District Attorney Investigator. Who do I send notice of a tort claim to? City, County, or State?

DA investigator in bad faith filed an affidavit of probable cause filled with false allegations & withheld exculpatory evidence violating my 4th amendment rights. 5months in jail DA dismissed upon being informed of that material evidence withheld. so now I want to file a tort claim but who do I... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 11, 2019

Unfortunately, under Oklahoma State Law, you can't sue a district attorney or his employees for performing prosecutorial functions. See White v. State ex rel Harris, 2005 OK CIV APP 79 (available online at Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Looking up family history, we came across a law suit case involving me that I know nothing about. Can you tell me?

in the case of Rover Pipeline v. Rover Tract no(s) WV-MA-ML-066.510-ROW, et al, case # 5:2018cv00069, filed 01 May 2018 in Wheeling, WV (re: Marshall County). Heirs of John H. Showalter: in this filing my name, along with two aunts (both deceased), and my brother Spencer David (deceased) and... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 11, 2019

This case was file in the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.

You'll have to contact that court to find our more about the case.

The court is required to give you all the documents in the case (though they may charge a fee.)

Here is the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Can paperwork be submitted directly to judge without being filed or made available to all parties

Conclusions of law and finding of facts submitted directly to judge

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Jan 25, 2019

No, that is called and ex parte communication.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: Civil case in OK. Can a judge use his own conclusions of law & finding of facts?

Judge made decision on case, but none of the conclusions of law or finding of facts submitted by attorneys were used.

Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Jan 25, 2019

It would be highly unusual for a judge to base his decision on facts that were not presented in some form to the court. An attorney's "conclusions of law" are generally the result that the facts call require. It is possible that the judge focused upon facts or laws that neither side considered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: I am wanting to send a copy of a person's criminal record and mugshot to the person's employer, can I legally do this.

I live in Oklahoma and the employer is in North Carolina.

Keegan Kelley Harroz
Keegan Kelley Harroz answered on Jan 23, 2019

Employers run their own criminal background checks before hiring a person. Additionally, this is all public record and if the employer cared they can easily look up this information. Regardless of what your reasons are, you are just asking for trouble and opening yourself up being sued. Do not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for Oklahoma on
Q: Traded in a car I owned for a new one Nov 2nd we talked one thing paper work said another not satisfied can I back out

And give them the car back and take mine back is that possible?

Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Nov 12, 2018

Anything is possible if everyone agrees. However, since you state the contact was signed without your having read it to insure the accuracy of the contract, you will be bound to the terms if the seller insists on it being followed.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Oklahoma on
Q: If a repair shops changes your oil and forgets to put the oil in and damages your motor what law is violated
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad answered on Oct 17, 2018

They violated the Law of Common sense:

Your remedy is to make a claim against the repair shop. If ignored you may want to pursue in small claims court, but you will need evidence of the amount of damage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.