Yuma, AZ asked in Traffic Tickets, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Arizona

Q: How do I obtain a copy of the actual traffic tickets issued to a driver who hit, killed, my sister and did not report.

Driver is 19 years of age and had 3 previous speeding violations before he hit my sister and left her on the side of the road for dead. All violations were reduced to 15-20 miles over speed limit via on-line public court website. I'm interested in obtaining original copies of the tickets with the police officer notes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Maerowitz
Matthew Maerowitz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can make a public records request. If a crash report was drafted, it is usually available to the public upon request upon paying a small fee. Some jurisdictions allow you to get the crash report online if you know information related to the accident such as the incident number. You can typically find the information for the law enforcement records department online about how to get the report.

I am sorry for your loss.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.