Essex, MD asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Maryland

Q: grandparents filed emergency custody against both parents and now pursuing child support from father but not mother.

mother lives at home with grandparents and kids, but unstable with opiod drug abuse and job history. father has opiod addiction also but completed successful intensive treatment. can courts require mother to support order also?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lynndolyn Tippins Mitchell
Lynndolyn Tippins Mitchell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: In response to your question, although the court can't order mother to move from her parents home. They can require her to pay child support for the children. The grandparents can't pick and choose who to go after for child support payments. Mother who has unstable job history and substance abuse issues may not be able to pay more than a minimum amount of support for the children. There was a recently case decided by the Court of Appeals of Maryland,Burak v. Burak, 455 Md. 564, 168 A.3d 883, 2017 Md. LEXIS 609 that discusses issues similar to your question.

Lynndolyn Mitchell

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.