Springfield, OH asked in Adoption and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Married for 6 years to wife, bio-dad not in picture financially or anyway the whole time. How can I adopt kids?

Been married 6 years to wife

children's biological dad have not been in their lives since 2010.

He has a child support order that he never pays.

Kids are 15,13,11.

can I adopt my step children?

will we have to find bio dad to consent to adoption?

If I can adopt them do I have to get a lawyer to do it? or can I handle the paper work myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You need to retain an experienced local adoption attorney to help you with the process. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult with a local attorney about the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.