Yakima, WA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: How can I (victim) terminate a no contact order if it's set for 47 years? We have 3 kids & his first conviction.

My husband and I have been married for 5 years 3 children under 8. First we had a verbal disagreement he was ordered to stay away for 8 years. Now a few months later he was caught in violation of the plan. Also there was contact with me but NO hitting punching slapping. He was ordered to stay away for 47years! I love my husband he's everything to me and I strongly need him back home. My heart is broken this isn't who he is. Our children miss him dearly. He is the soul provider I was also caring for his 2 kids from a previous. Please how can I terminate this? What do I do? How much will it cost? Help. It's urgent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Powers
Jason Powers PRO label
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: As the protected party you will need to go before the court that issued the NCO. Some of the procedure depends on if the order was issued via a criminal case, an anti-harassment case or a family law matter. If the NCO a final order or pending the outcome of a criminal trial or divorce decree? These are questions that need to be clarified. The length of the order seems extremely excessive. The court may delete the NCO, shorten the duration of the order or deny your motion. You will need to schedule an appointment with an attorney to determine how much it will cost and to explain the process if you provide more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.