South Bend, WA asked in Probate for Washington

Q: If a person disappears and is not found, how long do the heirs have to wait for inheritance in Wash State?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Whipple
Michael D. Whipple
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Spokane, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: These types of cases always prove interesting and answers really depend on the particular facts and circumstances-However, a general rule of thumb is 7 years.

If possible, you want to have the county coroner or medical examiner make a declaration of presumed death. We have been successful in having the court make this determination where there was no suitable alternative.

Michael Whipple

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.