Smithtown, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Been accused for setting up a fire in a college dorm What should I do and what will they do next?? Can they arrest me?

We had 3 firs in my college dorm last 2 weeks and I put out he last two and the last one it was in my floor(I am an RA) so the police accusing me for setting up the fire and said that I did it because I want to be the hero

But I didn’t do it and they have any evidence against me

So what will happen next and what I do ????

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Ostrer
Benjamin Ostrer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chester, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should consult with an experienced criminal attorney in your area. You have a right to decline to discuss the matter with law enforcement since they have adopted an accusatory posture. If the police believe they have enough evidence they can arrest you, but in my experience they will likely seek to obtain an admission from you or need some circumstantial proof of a crime. You should avoid speaking to anyone about the matter until you retain counsel

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.