Omaha, NE asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Traffic Tickets for Iowa

Q: My 17 year old son took a truck and hit another car. Then left the scene. The other couple has liability what do we do.

He was charged and does have a job. We have had way to many issues with him. Does he have to pay this or what are our options we cannot pay all of the estimate in one try.

1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • West Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: The facts are not clearly stated, which makes answering your question difficult. I have been a lawyer for thirty-six years and a father for longer than that. Here is my advice: 1. Yes, he has to pay. 2. Make him get a job and repay anything you have to pay on his behalf. 3. Ground him and take away his license for some length of time. 4. Do not put the title to the car he drives in your name. Instead, record a lien in your favor, on the title itself. 5. Take away his keys to the car until he settles down. Bad things come in threes. 6. Making mistakes is a valuable part of growing up; when they are making mistakes hopefully they are learning and developing character. Leaving the scene does not show solid character, it shows the opposite. What was he thinking? Have you asked him? I see you have had "way too many issues with him". This is a sign he is not listening. Again, take away his driving privileges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.