Lynn, MA asked in Adoption, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: I just found out i have a 9 year old daughter. Recently did a paternity test. What are my rights ( if any ) ?

I recently did a paternity test & found out i have a 9 year old daughter. However the mother isn’t allowing me to be a part of this child’s life. Given how sensitive the situation is, i understand her concern. But she originally agreed then disagreed. Plans on moving out of state too. The person who thought he was the father doesn’t have much a relationship with the 9 year old according to the mother. The mother just recently got a new boyfriend & i feel its just going to emotionally hurt the child. Not sure how fit her mother is but i fear everything she’s doing is not in the best interest of the child. My question is. What are my rights ? What can i do ? Is going to court & getting a lawyer worth it ? I’m a complete stranger to this little girl & i understand i won’t have many options in the court. But i want to be fully involved if possible.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Without "going to Court" you do not have any legal rights as in paternity cases the presumption is that the mother has sole custody. Therefore, if you are interested in obtaining visitation rights you will need to involve the Court. You also will be responsible for child support and this would go back to the date of birth.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.