Owensboro, KY asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Social Security for Kentucky

Q: I have a vehicle registered /titled/insured in my name only. My wife took it and my key and won't return it what do I do

She has no drivers license and she has someone else driving her around in it. Is there a way to get my car back? Is it legal for her to do that? We are getting a divorce are currently separated and there is an epo against me. She has also stolen my social security check before I could get to it and locked my bank card.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Apply for a lost title for the car. Then take the title with the vin number and your I’d to the dealership and have them make you a new key. Then go repossess or hire someone to repossess your car. Also make sure that you are not violating the dvo or any family court orders before you do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.