Federal Way, WA asked in Domestic Violence for Washington

Q: Hello - My Father was convicted of a domestic violence charge over 20 years ago. Can this be expunged?

His ex-wife who had him arrested is even willing to appear in court with him because she knows that what actually happened back then in no way justified a DV charge and subsequent conviction....Please advise....Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Powers
Jason Powers PRO label
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: He may be able to have the charge vacated. More facts are needed such as what type of DV charge? Was it a felony or misdemeanor? Were the terms of probation completed? If the DV charge was a misdemeanor, the answer is probably. If it was a felony it may be vacated depending on the charge. I suggest you meet with an attorney to discuss this further and bring any paperwork from the court hearings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.