Tucson, AZ asked in Probate for North Dakota

Q: My father died 25 years ago without a will. I need to probate his estate now. Are newspaper notices still needed?

This has to do with mineral rights he owned. In 2010, we filed a Death and Heirship document to establish heirs for royalty payments.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lucas Wynne

  • Grand Forks, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: No attorney can provide advice on this topic without speaking with you directly because more information would be needed.

James W. Martens

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Bismarck, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: An informal intestate administration may be possible, but I would want to know more informaton before giving you a definitive answer. I would hire an attorney to make sure it's done properly. As a title examiner, I can't tell you the number of times I've come across estates that were improperly administered and required reopening to cure the title defect. I regularly assist clients in your position and would be happy to discuss the matter with you and potentially help you out if you wanted to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.