Providence, RI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Rhode Island

Q: If one parent has not spoken or seen child for more than few months,can that parent stop other parent from taking child?

After few months of not contacting the child, can that parent stop other parent from taking child out of the country? Can one parent stop other parent from seeing the child from other country, if that parent cannot stay here? what if other parent has no job and cannot afford attorney to take to court? What if other parent cannot stay in US?

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: That's quite a few questions. Depending on the travel of your case and any orders now in effect, the answers will vary. Meet with a family court attorney in private to go over the documents and evaluate your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.