Oradell, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New Jersey

Q: I got a move over law ticket in Edison. This is my 2nd ticket in over a year. Will I be able to remove these points?

I was not aware of the move over law. However, I did use common sense to try changing lanes, but I was blocked. Again, common sense struck and I slowed down from 65 to 55 in a 65 mph zone. Was I supposed to go slower? When the driver the officers pulled over finished, he came into my lane without using blinkers and I almost crashed into him. It was then when I got pulled over. Unfortunately, I was too shocked and did not explain these two parts to the officer.

Furthermore, I did receive a two point ticket for driving recklessly in the summer of 2016 and was able to get rid of it by appearing in court. Will I be able to do this again with this ticket? I also plan on going in and pleading guilty, is this a good idea?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Cheser
Mark Cheser
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Union, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: My belief is this is a 2 point ticket. Some opine it is 0. Can never get a straight answer. Anyway unless you have special circumstances like a CDL or you drive for Uber etc. you can negotiate this to O points on your own. You can use an attorney if you are more confortable or if you wish to contest the ticket.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.