Saint Marys, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant and Securities Law for Ohio

Q: Can a landlord legally ask a tenant for more money after withholding a security deposit on a rental agreement?

I have just recently moved from a rental property to another location. The lease agreement was for a 12 month period and after the 12 months, it became a month by month situation. After five years, I left the property and the security deposit was withheld for random repairs of the property. The landlord provided a list broke down by item and cost to repair. A lot of these items I believe should have been repaired for a fraction of the cost incurred. Is it legal for them to request more money other than the deposit and can I legally request receipts for the repairs they mentioned? They also never did an inspection or had any sort of communication with me in the five years I lived there.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can request receipts. But if you don't pay, the landlord could sue you for the repair amount in small claims court if under $6000, and you could then go to court and dispute the amount the landlord claims. But the landlord might not sue, and instead could make an adverse entry on your credit report, lowering your credit score and making it more difficult to rent from a landlord who checks your credit. So you might consider working it out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.