Bellflower, CA asked in Probate for Rhode Island

Q: My two sisters inherited my mothers house and my mother bequested

Me the sum of twenty thousand dollars. They said my mom's money in her estate was only twenty six thousand dollars and they used it up on the funeral and utility bills of the house for a year after my mothers passing. Can I force My sisters to sell the house and pay me my bequest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: This depends on how the will was written. If the house were given as a specific bequest, then no, probably not. If the money were given as a specific bequest and the house as a 'residual' item, then maybe, but it depends on the nature of the expenses paid.

Bottom line, you need to take all the documentation to a local estate and probate lawyer to review. State law may have an impact on the determination, and the wording is critical. That analysis is beyond the scope of what is possible in a forum like this.

Please seek local legal help ASAP! -- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.