Seattle, WA asked in Business Formation and Business Law for California

Q: Writing an agreement with someone in a foreign company.

How do I write an agreement for someone in a foreign country. It is with someone who works for an established company that support us in the USA. However, the company headquarter is overseas. What needs to be included in the agreement? I don't have money for an attorney to look it over. I am writing a basic agreement myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie King
Julie King
  • Monterey, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are a lot of different types of contracts and each one contains different terms. Is it a master services agreement? A joint development agreement? An employment agreement? Without knowing the type of contract and the terms both sides agreed to, a lawyer cannot advise you. There are just too many options.

I tell people all the time that entering into critical business contracts — whether domestic or international — without legal oversight will cost them a lot more money than if they had simply hired a lawyer in the first place. This is just an observation after 30 years of seeing what happens in situations where critical contracts were written by lay people vs lawyers.

If your contract is foundational to your business, you should hire a lawyer who can add terms to protect your business.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.