Asked in Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: My girlfriend has started divorce proceedings, but she obtained her green card through this marriage. Will she be deport

She obtained her perminate resident green card through her marriage but she has started divorce proceedings. She and her husband have been separated for quite sometime and she's ready to end her marriage with him. She and her husband also have two children together. They are US citizens living in Mexico with her Mother but she has been desperately working very hard to bring them into the US. I am concerned that once her divorce is final, she will be considered out of status and she'll be deported. What can we do to insure that she won't be deported after her divorce is final? If she and I were to marry after her divorce is final, will she be allowed to stay. She works a full time job. 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week. She pays taxes and does not receive any gov benefits whatsoever. She doesn't deserve to be deported because her husband's inability to stay faithful.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Edit Stelczner
Edit Stelczner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: Most importantly- has she removed the condition on her green card? If not then she will have to file the I-751 with a waiver and as long as the marriage was real she should be OK.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.