Asked in Child Custody for Hawaii

Q: How to can I get visitation if my child lives in hawaii and I live in Georgia ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: I would suggest consulting with a Hawaii attorney, as Hawaii would have jurisdiction over the child if the child has lived in Hawaii for over six months.

Depending on if you and the mother are married, a divorce or paternity case would have to be initiated. If there's already a divorce or paternity decree in this matter, a motion for post decree relief would be filed if you are looking for more or different visitation than has been ordered. If you would like to enforce visitation that was previously ordered, it would be appropriate to file a motion to enforce the order, referred to as an "order to show cause" in some counties in Hawaii.

Hope this helps and please be sure to consult with an attorney before going any further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.