Hawaii Child Custody Questions & Answers

Q: Can a father have full legal and physical custody of one child and the mother full custody of the other child?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Hawaii on
Answered on Dec 10, 2017
Lauren M. Sharon's answer
Yes, this is possible, so long as the judge is willing to sign off on the order. You should consult with an attorney regarding the consequences of such an agreement.

Q: What are the chances of me getting full custody of my 2 year old daughter if I'm the father?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Hawaii on
Answered on Dec 10, 2017
Lauren M. Sharon's answer
You should consult with an attorney, but unless the mother poses a danger to the child, it's unlikely she would lose custody of the child. 50/50 custody is most common in the state. The adultry probably won't be relevant.

Q: How to can I get visitation if my child lives in hawaii and I live in Georgia ?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Hawaii on
Answered on Dec 10, 2017
Lauren M. Sharon's answer
I would suggest consulting with a Hawaii attorney, as Hawaii would have jurisdiction over the child if the child has lived in Hawaii for over six months.

Depending on if you and the mother are married, a divorce or paternity case would have to be initiated. If there's already a divorce or paternity decree in this matter, a motion for post decree relief would be filed if you are looking for more or different visitation than has been ordered. If you would like to enforce visitation...

Q: whats the fastest and easiest way to get out my house?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Hawaii on
Answered on Jun 11, 2017
Cheryl Powell's answer
You cannot do that without their knowledge, consent or permission. Family services and the court system will not help with mental abuse.

Q: In the state of Hawaii, can a non-custodial parent relinquish their rights to children and not pay support?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Hawaii on
Answered on Dec 15, 2016
Mr. Gavin Kazuo Doi's answer
The brief answer is that a non-custodial parent cannot relinquish/terminate their rights to their child, nor their child support obligation. The only two exceptions would be (1) the State (through Child Welfare Services/Department of Human Services) terminates the parent's rights to the child as an unfit parent, based on abuse or neglect; or (2) if there is a proposed adopting parent who will take the place of the parent giving up his or her rights (an example would be the new husband of the...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.