Billings, MT asked in Car Accidents for Montana

Q: I own a 79 ford truck. I let a licensed driver borrow it. He let an unlicensed driver drive it and he rolled my truck.

Nobody was injured, thankfully. I only had liability insurance. My question is can I go after the driver for the loss of my truck? I don't know what to do or who to talk to about this. The value is/was $4000.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Go after both. Get the police report. Be prepared to show you didn't give permission for a relend as to the actual driver, so it's on driver #1, and that #2 was driving carelessly. Either way they both owe you. If they offer to pay get a judgment note, and especially get copy of their drivers licence, SS#, proof of addresses so if you have to chase them you can track them.

Eric E Holm

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Billings, MT
  • Licensed in Montana

A: You could see if the unlicensed driver was covered under his/her insurance policy or, if this is a minor, perhaps his/her parents' policy. You should be able to go after the driver for the loss of the vehicle, but it is often easier and more successful for you if there is liability insurance coverage available. Also the licensed driver who you granted permission to use the vehicle may have liability insurance that could cover the loss.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.