Q: If I live in a home my family owns half of, can I be evicted if the other party is trying to force us to sell it?

My parent paid over half the value of this home as s favor to a family friend when her spouse died to keep the previous owner from foreclosure..under the verbal agreement made in front of our attorney she agreed my family would pay off the balance of the house, she would live in it until she passed, her name would stay on for tax purposes only and she would will Her half to my family upon her passing...long story short her family moved her out of state, left the house unattended for over a year and I moved in with my family, while the previous half owners family took possession of her half of the house and are now trying to force us to sell it...we (my family) paid more than half the value of the house to keep her (the precious owner here as she was elderly)...can I forced out of the home and if so can we request that if it is sold we are at least reimbursed what we paid into it (not 50% of the value)...?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The owner named on the deed can evict anyone whose name is not on the deed. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local real estate attorney who can review all the facts of this complicated situation and advise you on your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.