Ohio Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: If the County job and family services says I owe them money but can't provide proof of money being owed to them

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Child Support for Ohio on
Answered on May 14, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
Do you have documents that show you paid the amounts they say are due? Were the amounts you paid listed on your tax returns, payroll deductions, or bank statements? If their records show you owe money, even if they don't have full documentation of that, you might have the burden to prove that you made the payments. Otherwise, you could be ordered to pay again. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and retain a local family law attorney to assist you.

Q: Had a sublet for 2 weeks now but never moved into the room. Later occupied by another girl can I get my money back?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 28, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
You can sue in small claims court to try to get your money back. But even if the court gives you a judgment, then you have to try to collect it, which is another visit to court.

Q: If I live in a home my family owns half of, can I be evicted if the other party is trying to force us to sell it?

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Dec 11, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
The owner named on the deed can evict anyone whose name is not on the deed. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to consult a local real estate attorney who can review all the facts of this complicated situation and advise you on your options.

Q: friends homeless asking to stay for 5 days w their belongings in garage, been 25 days no rent.Need to evict them?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio on
Answered on Apr 19, 2017
Joseph Jaap's answer
Yes, unfortunately, you must use the proper eviction process. If you don't, they could sue you for wrongful eviction - and they probably would. Give them a 3-day notice for non-payment of rent, and then file for eviction after 3 days. The court might dismiss that, since there was never an agreement to pay rent. And the court could say they are on a month-to-month lease, which can be terminated at the end of a month by giving notice at least 30 days in advance. So in case that eviction case...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.