Fargo, ND asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Dakota

Q: Can a DUI from 10 years ago affect my ability to win sole custody over my daughter now?

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Gregory William Liebl

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fargo, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: The short answer is that it probably won't affect your custody case, but a lot of other variables can come in to play. If it is truly 10 years or older, you may even be able to keep the judge from hearing about it under the North Dakota Rules of Evidence. You should still seek out an attorney so all of the variables regarding this issue can be explored and explained.

Lucas Wynne

  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: Perhaps. The fact of the matters is that the attorney on the apposing side may attempt to introduce the DUI to demonstrate your character as a strike against you under in regard to the best interests of the child. The circumstances of the DUI matter. I would agree that your attorney would attempt to have the DUI excluded, but there is no guarantee to that end.

Nicholas Nelson

  • Wahpeton, ND
  • Licensed in North Dakota

A: In a custody case, the court relies heavily on the 12 Best Interest Factors under North Dakota Century Code 14-09-06.2. Since your DUI happened more than 10 years ago, it may be excluded as evidence. This is general legal knowledge, and you should seek an attorney in pursuing custody. Good luck!

Lucas Wynne agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.