Port Orchard, WA asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Washington

Q: If my sister is assigned as executor on my father's will and doesn't wish to do it, what do I need to do to be assigned?

I am listed next on the will as co-executor and would be willing to act as executor.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Whipple
Michael D. Whipple
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spokane, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You would petition the court for appointment as personal representative(executor) seeking 'Letters of Administration.'

You would submit the petition with an order to that effect. If the will stipulates 'without bond' and with 'non-intervention powers', your petition and order would reflect that. If it does not, you would need to be prepared to post bond.

If the will has not been filed with the court clerk, do so right away.

A death certificate is not necessary to open probate but will prove helpful you probate the estate.

You will also need to file an oath with the court in order to obtain your letters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.