Herndon, VA asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Social Security for Virginia

Q: My social security number was shared to over 350 employees in an email without my knowledge or consent. What can I do?

I work for a federal government agency (Org A), while representing and employed through Org A, I assisted a separate federal government agency (Org B) on a project. For my contributions upon completion of the project, Org B gave me a small monetary award. After a long 2-year HR process between Org A and Org B of deciding how to provide this award to me, Org B needed to confirm with Org A that I was indeed still the same employee who assisted them with the project. In doing so an HR rep from Org B sent an email out to over 350 employees at Org A with the subject line "Award" which in it contained my social security number and several other pieces of my personal information. This occurred in 2012 and ever since this date, I have been victim to several cases of identity theft each year and incidents continue to increase. I've documented the 3 most recent cases of theft which occurred on all 3 of my credit and debit accounts along with someone trying to file for financial aid with my info.

1 Lawyer Answer
Beau  Correll
Beau Correll
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I'm very sorry that this happened. You should understand, though, that no matter how jarring or tortious an act may be that certain strict time limits apply. I believe that your factual scenario may touch upon two areas of the law - the first is state tort law and the second is federal employment rights. If I were you, I'd look for attorneys that focus on the latter because there are probably certain nooks and crannies to your particular case that a state tort attorney may pass over.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.